Everything you need to know to buy safely on Amazon and eBay: Such as looking at seller feedback, which payment method is the safest and how you can ensure a safe hasslefree delivery.
- Check out the seller's reputation very carefully. In particular, the detailed seller ratings (max 5 Stars) will provide information on what service you can expect.
- Be careful if a seller has recently received lots of negative reviews in the last few weeks or months.
- Thoroughly research the item you want on other websites and pay attention to ratings the item/s are receiving from other buyers.
- Be careful of branded products that appear obviously too cheap. An offer that seems too good to be true, sometimes can be. Therefore, research the product on price comparisons websites and compare whether the particular product can really be offered at such a great price.
- Be especially wary of offers that include a pre-sale. Check the reviews and sales activities of the seller very carefully before you decide to buy. Do not leave seller feedback until you have received and checked the purchased item.
- Be wary of items that do not match the product description offered by other websites, or the main manufacturer. This can be a indication that the product being sold is a counterfeit item that's being sold as the real deal by the seller.
- If you suspect a product is counterfeit, report it via the appropriate link on Amazon or eBay, so they can take action and remove it as soon as possible.
- Do not buy illegal products on Amazon or eBay, as you may be breaking the law of your country and will not be covered by any payment protection programs those websites offer.
Secure payment methods
- If possible, you should always pay with PayPal, debit or credit card. You are then protected by the credit card company if anything goes wrong.
- Even if you want to pick up your item in person, we advise you don't pay by cash, especially if it is a large amount.
- Do not be fooled by sellers who are claiming that their PayPal account is not currently available, or advise you for other reasons not to pay with PayPal or credit card.
- Never send cash via Western Union, Moneygram or other money transfer services. Payment via cash transfer services is prohibited on Amazon and eBay!
- Always make your purchase directly through the Amazon or eBay website. If you make your purchase outside of their websites, you will not be protected and may lose everything.
- Find out in advance what the delivery costs are and how long your product will take to arrive. If the product you have ordered is coming in from overseas, it may be subject to customs fees.
- Sellers usually offer several delivery options. If the item you have ordered is a particularly valuable piece or fragile, it really should be shipped via recorded delivery to ensure safe delivery. If a seller is offering a very expensive item, yet is posting it via the most basic and cheapest option, be wary. The seller always bears the risk of shipment, regardless of shipping method chosen, not you.
- Some delivery services provide the ability to track the shipment online. Ask the seller if he or she will provide you with a tracking number so you can track your parcel at all times.
- If a problems occur in shipment or the item you have received appears damaged upon inspection, immediately contact the seller to resolve the matter.